The Topic of Deeper Life Daily Manna Devotional for 7th August 2021 Is “ Prepared for Service“
TEXT: 1 Samuel 16:14-23
14. But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.
15. And Saul’s servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee.
16. Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp; and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well.
17. And Saul said unto his servants, Provide me now a man that can play well, and bring him to me.
18. Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the LORD is with him.
19. Wherefore Saul sent messengers unto Jesse, and said, Send me David thy son, which is with the sheep.
20. And Jesse took an ass laden with bread, and a bottle of wine, and a kid, and sent them by David his son unto Saul.
21. And David came to Saul, and stood before him; and he loved him greatly; and he became his armourbearer.
22. And Saul sent to Jesse, saying, Let David, I pray thee, stand before me; for he hath found favour in my sight.
23. And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand; so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.
Key Verse: 1 Samuel 16:18
“Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the LORD is with him.
DAILY MANNA DEVOTIONAL FOR TODAY
The American poet and essayist, William Matthews made a point when he said, “One well cultivated talent, deepened and enlarged, is worth one hundred shallow faculties.” Incidentally, there is hardly anyone that does not possess at least a talent. The tragedy of it is that most people fail to discover their talents; even more painful is the fact that of those who have discovered their God-given talents, only a few develop theirs enough to be of service to humanity.
David was evidently talented and skilful. Being chosen and anointed by God to lead Israel, this shepherd boy was divinely gifted and groomed. However, David had to develop his musical skill by constant practice; his bravery by confronting dangerous wild animals; his wisdom by study and experience; good-look by personal grooming; and godliness by devotion.
Truly, “A man’s gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men” (Proverbs 18:16). David’s talents landed him a job in the king’s palace. He was there to use his musical skill to calm king Saul who was getting harassed by evil spirit. David also became the king’s armour bearer and was well favoured in his court. This was God’s way of schooling him in the art of governance. He eventually became a great king in Israel.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: God can use you anytime; be prepared always.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Nehemiah 8-10
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.